Qnap TS-453 Pro – Storage and backup for Backflip Photo
The Qnap TS-453 Pro is where Backflip Photo went when it was time to upgrade our storage. Weeding through all the names out there, Synology, Netgear, Western Digital and Buffalo just to name a few. We ultimately chose a platform that we felt was a good value and that offered a high degree of reliability. Snyology and Netgear are great, but their prices were just a tad high for what they offered. After doing a lot of research we chose to go with a TS-453 Pro. The biggest reason we went with this model was the price. We were convinced that our data would be secure, backed up and accessible in a plethora of ways, and we were right. The extra processing power and RAM in the TS-453 Pro was also going to help deliver our media to several systems at once, heck we even run a media server on it. It’s not the most powerful, but for a small business like ours it serves our needs now and into the future. Because of its ability to expand with an addition we are able to use the power of this NAS and just add on expansion as needed.
Key features of the Qnap TS-453 Pro
- Virtualization Station – We use this to run a sandbox of sorts. We can create any number of operating systems and try out new ideas and test in those platforms.
- Backup – Of course backup is high on our list of musts for any NAS, and the features that come out of the box with the Qnap allow all of our images, videos, media of all kinds to be redundantly stored, and dynamically rebuilt in case the worst happens.
- Security – We are running military grade 256 bit encryption that keeps our data safe from attacks, yet it is easily accessible on devices such as phones, tables and our network.
- Video Transcoding – Not a feature we were looking for at first but nice to have. With the help of the included software we were able to build a media server. From our phones we can access movies and songs while we are out on the road and play them remotely. Our NAS back at the home office does all the transcoding, it really couldn’t have been more simple to setup.
- Surveillance System – We are able to pipe in our IP based cameras directly to software that came with our NAS. Wherever we are we can simply check in on our business through the cameras in real time and we can also review footage that gets recorded directly to the hard drives.
- Phone apps – Qnap has done a really good job supplying apps that make all of this remote access very easy. We can manage and administrate anywhere in the world.
- LAN and WAN access – What good is all that data if you can only get to it while you are in the office? We travel a lot, that is part of our business. We need to be able to get data and send data to our NAS from anywhere. When we are done with a shoot we feel at ease knowing that we can send all of that data to our home base and that it is going to be backed up. It’s a peace of mind we won’t do without.
The QTS operating system that Qnap has developed really is a breeze to use. They are always working to make it better than it is. The support has been fantastic and the community is knowledgeable, eager to help. Nearly everything you might want to do has been done and they will gladly assist you in getting it done. Being a small business, this experience has been terrific from start to finish. We love our TS-453 Pro and are customers for life. Consider this a glowing recommendation.
To find out more about Qnap, their line of products and all of the services they offer, visit them at www.qnap.com